Call for Nomination of Candidates for the National Advisory Council on Innovation
The Minister of Science and Technology hereby invites interested parties to nominate candidates to be considered for appointment to the National Advisory Council on Innovation (NACI), which is being reconstituted in terms of the NACI Act, 1997 (Act No. 55 of 1997).
The object of NACI is to advise the Minister on the role and contribution of science, mathematics, innovation and technology, including indigenous technologies, in promoting and achieving national objectives, namely to improve and sustain the quality of life of all South Africans, develop human resources for science and technology, build the economy, and strengthen the country’s competitiveness in the international sphere.
NACI will consist of a chairperson and 16 to 20 other members who are appointed in their personal capacities and serve on a part-time basis for a maximum of four years effective from 1 August 2018. Allowances will be in accordance with the National Treasury guidelines for remuneration.
The members of NACI, other than the chief executive officer and the officer of the Department of Trade and Industry, must have –
- achieved distinction in any field of science and technology in their own right or in the context of innovation;
- special knowledge or experience in relation to the management of science and technology, or innovation;
- special insight into the role and contribution of innovation in promoting and achieving national and provincial objectives; or
- special knowledge and experience of the functioning of the national system of innovation within which the science and technology system operates, the science and technology system, or any other aspect of NACI’s domain of responsibility.
Nominations should be submitted to the Minister of Science and Technology no later than 19 January 2018.
Relevant curricula vitae for nominated candidates, including the following information, should be provided: Identity number; gender; race; designation and responsibilities; contact details (postal and email addresses, and telephone and fax numbers); qualifications and field; current and past service on boards; areas of expertise; names and contact details of two referees.
Confirmation of the availability of the nominee is also required.
Nominations may be sent to the Director-General Science and Technology, for attention Ms Happy Molefe, in one of the following ways:
- By email to email@example.com.
- By post to the Department of Science and Technology, Private Bag X894, Pretoria, 0001.
- By hand to the Department of Science and Technology, Building 53, Scientia Campus, Meiring Naudé Road, Brummeria, Pretoria.
- By fax to 086 680 9326.
NB: Nominations will not be considered unless all the requirements set out above are met. Correspondence will be entered into with shortlisted candidates only.
Enquiries: Happy Molefe at 012 843 6651 (tel.), 086 680 9326 (fax) or firstname.lastname@example.org.